login

home >> forums >> Forum: FSOC Forum >> Topic: website comments

FSOC Forum  [ discussion on the ferret society of canberra... ]  
website comments

any suggestions or comments on the website?
14 responses          shona
 Tue 13 May 03

Responses  
Hi, I really like the website. I like the way that you have kept things plain and simple.

When responding to other people's comments, can we drop the title field? It should all really go under one title - like a thread.

I also just noticed that in the submit window the cancel button is smaller than the other buttons.

Thanks!
  Leon
Tue 23 Sep 03

I can see a use for the title field now :)

If possible, in the posted by column, it could have the members first name or nickname? That would be more personal than member #111. I have to keep clicking on these to figure out who is talking all the time.
  Leon
Tue 23 Sep 03

I actually agree about dropping the title field, I will get onto that very soon :)

I will also add another field to each user's profile called "public name" or something like that, and we can use that in the forum (although you can still call me 111 if you like :)

shona
  shona
Tue 30 Sep 03

all done.

everyone now has a field in their profile called public nickname, so they can put their preferred name in there :)

made the topic add/edit windows a bit more user friendly, changed cancel button, got rid of that response title :)

shona
  shona
Wed 01 Oct 03

I am wondering about locking non-members out of the forums... I know this is probably a difficult one with lots of issues around it.

I posted a message a while ago about Cybil and possible adrenal gland problems - to which Shona kindly replied. But I also got a reply from a VN, in Perth I think. What would have been nice is if the conversation I've been having with the VN could have occured in the forums, for us to learn and read about.

You never know who might be able to help, and yet not be able to log in to the forums, or have enough nous to figure out the persons email address. This will particularily apply to people who may be overseas, but quite knowledgable.

Of course, at the same time, I can see their being issues around loading the server up with multiple profiles of people who may only post once, and may just spam the forums. Maybe members, or just select members, could be given some sort of moderator ability to help control this?

I don't know - what are other people's thoughts?
  Leon
Wed 15 Oct 03

hi leon,

All very valid points, I agree we could be missing out on valuable information because non-members cannot post.

I will think about it for a bit, but at the moment, I'm thinking maybe I could make it so non-members could create themselves a username/password, but they would not be listed as members.

any thoughts?

shona
  shona
Wed 15 Oct 03

Not sure I like the amendments to the website. Although it is useful to have information on what to do when your ferret goes AWOL. I like to know his details are out there for someone who may have found him to find. My Slubby boy has been missing over 7mths now but I still hope for a miracle. Even though I never received a call about him & it appeared no-one but me ever looked in the lost & found, it still gave me comfort knowing that the details were there just in case. Now have to use bandaid solution of listing him Wanted.   Thérèse
Thu 12 May 05

I don't like the latest incarnation of the website much. The pikkies are nice but not having the options down the side or the login icon on each page means constantly having to return to the home page to go to different areas and then back home if you want to login to comment or something. Also I note the lost & found are still absent.   Thérèse
Fri 26 Aug 05

hi Therese,

We removed the list of pages from the side of each page, as we now have so many pages, it was taking up too much room :)

The login function is now available on each page, up next to our logo.

The lost & found listings were removed as is it impractical to keep the online version up to date. We have a central registry of lost & found ferrets, which is accessible by calling 0428 7466 20.

Slubby is on our records, so if we hear of anything we will give you a call.

shona
  shona
Fri 26 Aug 05

Thank you for letting me know that you are still keeping an eye out because even though it would take a miracle I can never give up on him as I promise all my guys that I will always come for them.
Even if it is hard to keep the lost and found up to date maybe you could have a lost & found like a forum that members themselves can login & list their lost & founds. It wouldn't cover those that are not members but it would be a point of reference for those who fgind or lose a ferret even if it wasn't a comprehensive listing.
  Thérèse
Mon 29 Aug 05

Hi Shona,

Is there a possibility of putting the most recent date & time of posts on the very first forum page? It's on the other pages, and it makes it really easy to see which topics have been responded to recently :) I often just want to jump on the puter and have a really quick scan to see if there's anything new.

Otherwise I'm enjoying the site. I didn't really know what it was like before (for members at least), so I don't have the comparison.

Take care,

Kat
  k
Thu 01 Sep 05

hi guys,

Thanks for all the comments, it is great that everyone is really getting involved in the club :)

I have created a lost & found forum which lists all ferrets on our books. This forum can't be added to or edited, so if anyone has lost or found a ferret, please report it to us by calling 0428 7466 20.

Great idea about the most recent replies, I will add them to the front page when I get a chance :)

shona

shona
Wed 07 Sep 05

Howdy Shona & Others
Thanks for the lost/found section I know I need a miracle but I am more comfortable with things if I know his details are out in the void to maybe bring my beloved Slubby home.
Just another thought, although I am aware it will be more work for you, maybe the older comments on forums could be deleted or archived somewhere as this is getting quite long and the initial comments are from 2003 and the website has had at least 2 reworks and who knows how may fine tunes since then. Thoughtful Dooks, Thérèse & her mini-monsters.
  Thérèse
Thu 08 Sep 05

Hi Shona,

I just noticed while browsing the forum, that the 'last comment' outline on the front page of the forum shows only the 'last response', and none of the 'created by dates'. I just noticed this as nique posted something in 'General Discussion', and it wasn't shown on the front page.

Just letting you know.. :)

Thanks!
  k
Mon 23 Jan 06

^ Responses ^  

Ferret Society of Canberra
 www.ferretclub.org.au

For more information or to make comments please email mail@ferretclub.org.au